How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jenny Your Own Question
Jenny, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6428
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jenny is online now

I took a life insurance in 1998 ,which was until my 55th birth

This answer was rated:

I took a life insurance in 1998 ,which was until my 55th birth date. This has now finished. I was under the impression that a 50% payment would be made if there was no claim in that period. However Canada life have confirmed that this was not part of the original agreement. The IFA may have mentioned this side of the agreement or not but I can not recollect this. However there has been no follow-up since the original discussions with the IFA to discuss if this should be addressed. I am at a loss if this is an issue that should be followed up by me or if just a case of bad luck and but down to bad luck. Is there a any case to be answered by the IFA company?, and I should I follow it up and with whom.
Hope you can help
Mr B Sangar
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Are you saying that the IFA advised you to take the policy out on the basis of the 50% payout?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can not recollect that this was the reason for taking the policy, I am pretty sure that was not. >it was just for life assurance.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry I was called away .
Hi Jenny
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I feel that a follow up should have been done to ask if this was now required .If this initially was not requested by myself or if even he had not mentioned it.
So you are saying that you do not feel you received good advice from him because he failed to find a policy that provided this cover?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It seems the policy did have this option but was not started, and then not mentioned later or even followed up as a possibility.
I noticed this on the documents as the policy was coming to the end.
In the event that the IFA knew there was this option and did not advise you of it or to sign it then yes I think there is a claim in professional negligence against them. You should write to him to say that this failure has resulted in you suffering a financial loss and that he should notify his insurer that you are going to bring a professional negligence claim on that basis. The key issue is whether a reasonable IFA acting with due care and skill ought to have advised you of it, if this is found to be the case, which is likely then you would win a claim against him.
If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer thank you and all the best.
Hello is there anything further you would like to know about this as I can see you have not yet rated my answer which is an important part of the process?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do I take action through my solicitor or is that something the ombudsman starts.
Is this process finished if I obtain a favourable outcome or does it finish here, and I start again if I need more advice?
It's not really an ombudsman issue. You can theoretically issue proceedings personally or you could instruct a solicitor to issue proceedings on your behalf. If you have household insurance it most likely contains free legal expense insurance so that's worth having a look at.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
should the initial letter/email just state my intentions or go into details as to why. And wait for a response
or should I just hand it over the my solicitor[I have asked them and they have asked me to contact you] to deal with from the start
It should go into details as to why. To be honest if you have a solicitor who could deal with it then I would advise you do that as they will most likely take you more seriously that way.
Jenny and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you