How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

Living with partner years, my partner don't work due

This answer was rated:

Living with partner for 15 years, my partner don't work due to a stroke 7 years ago we have a mortgage, two burger wagons where I have been working for 3 years and two children what is my rights as he now wants us to go in separate ways thank you. Ana Rodrigues
Hi, thanks for your question. I am a qualified family law solicitor.
Just a bit more information required:
1. Are you married to your partner?
2. Whose name is ***** ***** and property?
3. Whose name is ***** ***** wagons?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
1. We not married been together for 15 years
2. Mortgage in both names
3. Burger wagons registed in my name but he made me put in writing it belong to both of us as the first one was brought with the money from a flat we sold
Thanks. As the properties are in both of your names, legally you both hold them jointly.
However, if you were to separate and he asks you and the children to move out then you can make an application to court under Schedule 1 of the Children Act 1989 in order to have an order allowing you and the children to stay in the property until a relevant date (eg. your youngest child finishes education), thereafter for the property to be sold and each party to obtain their relevant shares from the equity.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My children are 7 & 4 years old
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My problem is he put he's price already he wants £45.000 from me and he knows selling every thing I want have that kind of money
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can he by law ask me for this kind of money ?
Thanks. If you cannot afford that, then you simply cannot agree to it. Your children's needs will come first and the accommodation will be looked at in that way.
Usually, in these circumstances it is always best to sit down and talk things through to reach an amicable agreement, which is best done using an independent mediator. You can find local mediators here:
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you very much for your help
Have a nice weekend God
Thank you. Please rate positive if you found the information helpful.
Harris and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
With pleasure thank you