How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I like to know my rights about my house the land regesiter

This answer was rated:

i like to know my rights about my house the land regesiter is in my name only not my husbands . if we go for a saparation or a dievoce will he have any rights to the house . when my secord husband died it was our house .then I married my husband now how say he got rights to it because he paid money into the house were do I stand please
Hi, thanks for your question. I am a qualified family law solicitor.
As you married to him he will have a few rights arising out of this.
If the house is the matrimonial home he will have a right to live there unless there is a court order preventing him.
If you decide to pursue a divorce he can also make an application for financial relief. This will take into account the house and all other assets and the court will decide how to distribute the assets between you in order for you both to meet your needs and for the needs of any children to also be met.
The split of the house will be determined based on both of your contributions, and you have a strong case for a greater split given that it was the matrimonial home from your previous marriage. However the court will need to look at your current husband's contributions and the length of your marriage to decide what a fair share should be.
I would suggest that you attend mediation to try to reach an agreement. You can find local mediators here:
Harris and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you