How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alice H Your Own Question
Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2850
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alice H is online now

I would really appreciate if you can help me with a

This answer was rated:

I would really appreciate if you can help me with a question regarding my brother: two years ago he was condemned in Portugal with 4 1/2 yr prison. He pleaded not guilty and made an appeal to supreme court as there were not enough evidence to give him this sentence. All this time he was in Portuguese prison on the preventive prison mandate and 6 months ago as they couldn't extend the preventive mandate and they let him free. His case it is now still discussed to the Supreme Court and we are waiting for the final decision. Since he was free he was living with me in UK (I am British Citizen) and he is working here. He is Romanian citizen.
My question is if the final sentence will be same and he should continue to do the rest of the sentence, it is any chance to transfer to do the rest of the sentence in an UK prison?
As now he is an UK resident and he is working and living here can he continue the rest of the prison in here?
Thank you for your help,
Hi my name is***** your brother have UK citizenship?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, he doesn't. He is romanian. Actually I have mentioned in my question. Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If he can't do the rest of the sentence here, how he can avoid to be sent back to Portugal to complete the sentence there?
Hi. Portugal could issue a European Arrest Warrant which means that your brother could be arrested and extradited from anywhere in Europe to Portugal to serve his sentence. Unfortunately he is not eligible to seve his sentence in the UK because he is a Romanian citizen; only UK citizens can be repatriated to the UK to serve their sentences here. he could, however, ask to be sent to Romania to serve his sentence if they have an agreement with Portugal.
Hi. Can I assist you any further with is matter?
Alice H and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, thank you very much for your help.
No problem. Please remember to take a moment to rate my answr. I am happy to discuss further if needed.