How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10956
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

I live in a conservation area in London SE19. My 1970s house

This answer was rated:

I live in a conservation area in London SE19. My 1970s house has a detached garage of double brick construction approx 1m from the main dwelling and I wish to convert it to residential use, (make my existing kitchen bigger) and joinng it to the house. (At the moment there is a side access to my garden which would be built over)
The flank wall of the existing garage structure is on the boundary line, and has been there I assume from the time the house was built. Would I be allowed development to the boundary as there is an existing structure or is there a law now that would prohibit me from doing this
Many thanks
1. Yes, you would be allowed to develop to the boundary as this is the existing line of the building that is there. Essentially, in law, you are allowed to develop to the midpoint line of the boundary of your property. As there is an existing structure already on the boundary line, planning already exists for a structure of this cubed area. So, it is only for any increase in volume which you wish to create that further planning permission is needed, as well as for the change of use - from garage to residential. So, under existing planning law, the precedent exists to allow you planning permission up to the line of the boundary.
2. Please RATE the Answer as unless you RATE the answer, your Expert will receive none of the monies you have paid the website so there is no incentive to answer any further questions.
Buachaill and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your reply. When you refer to volume is that the volume of the "living space" created, and is the space between the ceiling and roof calculated in the volume. This will effect if my plans are to be drawn with flat or pitched roof
3. Yes, when I refer to the volume, I refer to the overall space of the building, not just the living space created. There will be little overall difference whether you chose a flat roof or a pitched roof, as the effect on overall volume is minimal. The planning department aren't so worried about what style the roof is in so long as what you build is harmonious and looks neat and architecturally correct when viewed from different angles.