How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I am a tenant that has been served with a section 21. My hearing

This answer was rated:

i am a tenant that has been served with a section 21. My hearing was last week where the Judge has deferred judgment and wants both paties to submit more evidence. A 2 day trial has been set for possibly spring/summer in 2016.
The landlord is now refusing my rent payment for Oct/Nov/Dec 2015 and has informed me that they will not be accepting anymore rent payments from me.
What are the legal imlpications for me as now I am in rent arrears due to the refusal of my attempts at paying rent?
Thank you
Hi, thanks for your question. I am a qualified solicitor.
You have a legal duty to continue paying your rent until formally evicted. I would suggest that you set the money aside and in your further evidence inform the court that the landlord is refusing to accept the rent but that you have attempted to pay it. The landlord could claim rent arrears when it comes to trial and it is in your best interest to have the money aside if that happens.
Harris and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your reply, but this is now causing me distress and a great deal of consternation as the trial is not until spring/summer 2016 and the Judge at the hearing is awaiting more evidence from both parties.Is the landlord allowed to make feel that I am now living in fear as I have no idea if I am still safe living here due their refusal of my rent paymentThank you
The landlord cannot do anything, for example remove you from the property, until an eviction notice is granted by the court which specifies the date you should leave by. I know that it is disconcerting being in this position, but you cannot force the landlord to accept your rent. You can only show the court that you made reasonable efforts to pay the rent as agreed and the landlord refused it. Again, it is best to keep the money aside as it is highly likely that the court will order that you pay all outstanding rent, even if it is the landlord's fault that it is not being accepted.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you
Good luck, and please do come back if you have further questions in the future. You can ask me directly here: