How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 50161
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I have had noise from the flat upstairs since the

This answer was rated:

For months I have had noise from the flat upstairs since the new tenant has moved in. In March they must have installed some device which now makes a grinding noise when operated. I have been trying to get this resolved for months, but the noise continues. It is not a sound heard with previous tenant.
I have reported this to the building management and council, yet this remains unsolved. I don't want to settle living with this sound.
I believe having a solicitor getting involved may help illustrate that I am looking to a solution to the matter, and may help push getting this solved.
What can I do?
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified solicitor and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. What have the Council done so far?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
They have contacted the tenant and went me a letter that the sound was an alarm clock. In my last communication from October 18, in which I instructed them 30 days to resolve the sound, they replied that they would get back to me. But have heard nothing about this.They have been helpful in the past, and believe they may have sent maintainance people to investigate but so far the sound continues. I have been expressing my concern for the sounds since approx March of 2014 and have given plenty of time to get action, I trully think it may just be a water pipe or appliance poorly installed.I am a leaseholder of my flat, and above a council tenant. Perhaps a third party, such as a solicitor my help them push this matter for investigation. But I do not want them to think I am happy living with this grinding noise which occurs now and again.
When you experience noise issues from a neighbour, the usual steps of trying to resolve this are:· Speaking directly to the neighbour concerned· Contact their landlord, if they are a tenant· Complain to the Council· Use a mediation service if they are willing to participate (search for them here:· Get a solicitor to contact them just to set out your position· Go to court You mentioned that you are at a stage where you want a solicitor to get involved and you are perfectly entitled to do that. You can see any local solicitor to you, for example a High Str solicitor may be better value for this, and explain your circumstances asking them to compose and send a formal letter. Hopefully that will make it clear that you are taking this matter seriously and will not hesitate to take legal action if necessary. I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you