How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

My only benefit I qualify the single occupancy benefit

This answer was rated:

my only benefit I qualify for is the single occupancy benefit on my rent..
I have recently, 6 months ago, did some voluntary work for NHS England, who offered me an Honorarium amount of money, £150 for a meeting. The payments mount up to just under £1000 over the last 6 months.. My question is:
How do I declare this money to the benefits people and when, I did assume at first it would be at the end of each financial year, because the payments are not regular nor are they definite, if I don't get invited to these meetings I don't get anything from NHS England... but I am not sure how or when I declare this money...
Secondly, again I assume, I declare this money to the Inland Revenue at the end of the financial year... but again am I right in this assumption...
Any help and advice you could give me would be gratefully received ... thank you for your time... Trevor Clower
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
You should declare it both for benefits and HMRC and let them decide whether it counts. A true honorarium wont count as tax etc as it is a gift. Some companies pay an honorarium as opposed to a wage to get around obligations.
Here it seems you get £150 a meeting, which does not appear to be a true honorarium. Therefore my view is that it will count as income and therefore you are liable to declare it. But declare it anyway just in case as you dont want to be charged with failure to disclose a change in circumstances if you did not!
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Do you wish to discuss this on the telephone at all?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes a chat on the phone would be great Alex...
I am free all day tomorrow 27th Nov 2015...
phone my landline 0115-8753651 .. this is the clearest line but if I don't answer please ring my mobile ...
My Mobile *********** this has a bad signal in my home... but use this if I am out for some reason Alex..
Ok. You may need to remind me tomorrow.....
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK Alex I will email you at around 10am tomorrow as a reminder... just email me back with a definite time would be great...
have a smashing evening Alex
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello Alex... sorry I am late here... promised to remind you at 10am ... better late then never... could you give me a ring on my landline 0115-8753651 please... I will be in up to 5pm... thanks Trevor
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thanks for your help Alex... Trevor Clower
Great to chat.