How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I recently rented a holiday villa in Lanzarote and paid a £250

This answer was rated:

I recently rented a holiday villa in Lanzarote and paid a £250 returnable bond. The Villa rules stipulated this would be returned providing there was no damage to the property aside from general wear and tear. There was nothing in the rules or any clauses stating a deep cleanse of the property had to be undertaken.
The owner contacted us after departure to advise he was only returning £140 due to the property being in a state. We are a house proud family and treated the property as our own, with no mess being left behind. The owner has failed to provide any photo evidence or proof of cost.
He also advised that an emergency call out fee had been deducted due to a door being left open after our departure. The keys were left in a security box and as there was no alarm system, the only way to ascertain if a door was unlocked would be to enter the property, which I suspect was dine when the check out clean was being carried out.
In addition to my frustration and loss of monies, we were also without the advertised heated pool due to a pump being broken for the duration of our stay. The owner was aware and engineers removed the broken pump, so this is where I believe the owner is trying to recover costs.
I was considering pursuing via MCOL, but would appreciate your advice.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
Was it a UK company/person you paid?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, a UK based owner and marketed via Owners Direct.
You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at:  or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thanks, ***** ***** with MCOL, but was more looking for guidance or confirmation that I had grounds to claim. Thanks
Yes you have a claim. The contract is clear as to what they can claim for. They have not done this and therefore are claiming for something which they can not. You do have a claim.
Does that help?
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If you have not done so already might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.