How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ukfamilysolicitor Your Own Question
ukfamilysolicitor, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1441
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor Currently specialising in Family. Also experienced in Corporate, Employment, Civil Litigation, Debt Recovery
Type Your Law Question Here...
ukfamilysolicitor is online now

My mother died in March 2006 I had paid house but my

This answer was rated:

My mother died in March 2006 I had paid for the house but my sibblings decided they would be greedy and try to take it from me, I contacted solicitors in Manchester to act for me, they passed me from one to another over and over again each one repeating the same steps as the last, I have written to them on several occasions over the last few years without any reply, I finally wrote again at the end of September requesting the return of all papers, documents and deeds by 21 November, they still did not reply to me so Wednesday I sent a sharp email via their website stating I would be speaking to the ombudsman, I actually got a reply within a few hours saying that as I had an outstanding bill of nearly £6000 they have placed a 'lien' on my file. As this is the first I have heard about this bill I now want advice about my next steps?
Welcome to Just Answer
I am a Solicitor and will assist you
You need to ask for a copy of the bill to be sent to you so that you can scrutinise the same. You also need to consider making a formal complaint about the service you have received from your solicitor.
In the first instance you need to utilise your solicitors firms complaints procedure and give them eight weeks to either resolve your complaint or to tell you that they can’t or won’t do any more.
If when you have been through the solicitors complaints service and your complaint hasn’t been resolved satisfactorily - you can make a complain to the Legal Ombudsman. Contact details are here:
You must make sure you complain to the Legal Ombudsman within six months.
The Legal Ombudsman can make solicitors put right the work they’ve carried out or pay financial compensation. The range of options open include:
– Making the law firm apologise.
– Making the law firm reduce or refund legal fees.
– Making the law firm put right work it’s already done.
– Making the law firm pay your colleague compensation of up to £30,000. This is for inconvenience, emotional distress and upset and is the maximum payable. In most cases any compensation is likely to be far less.
Please don't hesitate to ask if I can clarify anything for you.
Kind Regards
Please kindly remember to rate positively so that we receive credit for our work
ukfamilysolicitor and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I sent an email to the solicitors 26/11/15 stating I would like details of their complaints procedure and detailed copies of the bills and they have neglected to reply or acknowledge me yet again, can I go to the ombudsman now?
I've got you a link for some more guidance - investigations can take some time and you are suppose to allow 8 weeks. I would chase them again next week for their complaints procedure:
Kind regards