How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71154
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Had a letter dating back to 2007 to a joint claim in child

This answer was rated:

Had a letter dating back to 2007 to a joint claim in child tax credits. 2 weeks ago I received a letter from hmrc asking for half the debt of £1000.74. I recently received a debt letter asking myself for £500.37. Should I pay this debt and what legal rights do I have. Is this debt statute bared
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
why haven't you paid it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I never received any notification and all money's were transferred to my partners account. Our relationship broke down in 2007
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi joe, do you have a answer for me to help
Do you deny being a joint claimant?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's that long ago I can't remember. But their records state I was
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Should I pay, do I have any legal rights regarding the debt
You are jointly liable for the claim then Im afraid.
Unfortunately this is revenue debt so not subject to time barring. It is an over payment of public money rather than a contract or tort issue. That said, the older the claim the more likely they are to be unable to prove it and to write it off therefore.
You may have a claim against your former partner for the money although if it was spent upon your children then that is not likely to succeed as she herself did not benefit.
I'm very sorry but that is your position.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Best to pay my half then yes
You could ask them for evidence and you could mention time barring to them as they probably don't understand the law.
But ultimately if they are intent then they will win.
Sometimes the revenue will accept lesser offers in full and final settlement.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Already mentioned barring. They didn't respond . Just issued debt collection. I think I will just pay my half. Would you say this is the easyer solution
It is certainly the easier solution.
Whether it is the cheapest is another matter.
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you