How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 50148
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I have done some joinery work company called UM1 ds7

This answer was rated:

Hi I have done some joinery work for a company called UM1 ds7 which are alone company . There owe me just under £10,000 . I was the site manager on the job as well as having the joinery contract . I had paper invoices in the office for monies paid the site got broke into the office got wrecked and tools pinched the police was called . I have sent in a block invoice to cover all works carried out and outstanding works done but not paid for . The company are saying that's not good enough and don't have to pay me . Is this correct .
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified solicitor and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.
What is the reason they are not paying you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't think they have monies to hand but they owe a lot out .
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There bump companies all the Time . I no longer work for them .
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
ok but have they actually said a specific reason they will not pay you, or is it just a blank refusal?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
They want inovices to tally up with the the monies paid but when the site got broke into they got trashed . I Carnt remember all the jobs done in each month so I didn't want to guess and get things wrong.
Thank you for your response. I will review the relevant information and laws and will get back to you as soon as I can. Please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So I took a drawing and scaled works off that
Thanks for your patience. The fact that you have not been able to provide more concrete evidence or detailed invoices, does not mean that they can refuse to pay you. You still did work for them and legally you are entitled to be paid for that. It may not necessarily be as precise as in the event you had correct details, but a reasonable approximation can still be expected. So their excuse that what you have supplied them with is not good enough is not really something they can legally rely on to refuse payment. You are still legally entitled to chase them for that and even take the matter further, such as by going to the small claims court. This is your basic legal position. I have more detailed advice for you in terms of the exact steps you need to follow to take the matter further, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you
Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Many thanks for your rating. Whenever a dispute arises over money owed by one party to another, the debtor can be pursued through the civil courts for recovery of the debt. As legal action should always be seen as a last resort, there are certain actions that should be taken initially to try and resolve this matter informally and without having to involve the courts. It is recommended that the process follows these steps:
1. Reminder letter – if no reminders have been sent yet, one should be sent first to allow the debtor to voluntarily pay what is due.
2. Letter before action – if informal reminders have been sent but these have been ignored, the debtor must be sent a formal letter asking them to repay the debt, or at least make arrangements for its repayment, within a specified period of time. A reasonable period to demand a response by would be 10 days. They should be advised that if they fail to do contact you in order to resolve this matter, formal legal proceedings will be commenced to recover the debt. This letter serves as a ‘final warning’ and gives the other side the opportunity to resolve this matter without the need for legal action.
3. If they fail to pay or at least make contact to try and resolve this, formal legal proceedings can be initiated. A claim can be commenced online by going to Once the claim form is completed it will be sent to the debtor and they will have a limited time to defend it. If they are aware legal proceedings have commenced it could also prompt them to reconsider their position and perhaps force them to contact you to try and resolve this.
Whatever correspondence is sent, it is always advisable to keep copies and use recorded delivery so that there is proof of delivery and a paper trail. The court may need to refer to these if it gets that far.