How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ukfamilysolicitor Your Own Question
ukfamilysolicitor, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1469
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor Currently specialising in Family. Also experienced in Corporate, Employment, Civil Litigation, Debt Recovery
Type Your Law Question Here...
ukfamilysolicitor is online now

I was widowed in 1995 and can't find out who was our mortgage

This answer was rated:

I was widowed in 1995 and can't find out who was our mortgage provider from 1985/6 to 2000. My then husband dealt with all financial matters and although I sold up and moved 5 years after his death, the solicitor I used is no longer practising in Cirencester. We were self employed antique dealers and I have been informed that our mortgage payments would have included PPI. I have tried with no success to find any papers relating to the house we had during those years. Is there another way I can try before I just give up on attempting to recover some payments from those years? It was such a struggle running a business and paying a mortgage too that it took a great toll on my husband's health and I was a widow at the age of 52 after his years of heart trouble, so any glimmer of hope you can provide me with will be most gratefully welcomed by me.
Welcome to Just Answer
I am a Solicitor and will try and assist you.
My first thoughts would have been to find out who took on your old solicitors file of papers - but you have already pursued this.
I have never used this service myself - but I have heard that the Land Registry do hold some previous copies of the Title Documents. If they have the edition for when you held the property, when it was mortgaged, then the charges section of this document - will detail who the mortgage company was. Which will give you the information that you require.
See this link for the forms that you need to apply:
I'm not sure of the fee for this service - but the fee for a current copy of the title (ie that for the current owners) is only £3 - so I cant imagine its going to cost you much more than that.
Here are the contact details for the Land Registry so that you can check the current fee and where to send your form:
0300(###) ###-####
Lines are open 8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday
Kind Regards
If you have found this service useful - please kindly remember to rate positively so that we receive credit for our time.
ukfamilysolicitor and other Law Specialists are ready to help you