How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 49794
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I have a disagreement over money that dates back more than

This answer was rated:

I have a disagreement over money that dates back more than 8 years. I had felt it had gone away but it flares up from time to time.
It involves placing of bets and both parties lost out in a case that involves lots of individuals knocking each other.
My former betting partner has decided that i owe him £100k which is nonsense and has now engaged a seemingly nasty group of collectors to enforce the debt. They have called upwards of 30 times today already.
My question is how can someone employ a firm to collect money that is not acknowledged to be owed? Also what sort of firm could accept this instruction when all th bets were placed on the same persons account. Not mine .
How old does a debt or dispute have to be before it is uncollectable?
does the constant calling constitiute harassment?
tks vm
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified solicitor and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Have you acknowledged the debt at any point?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no i have disputed it
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
are u there?
Yes I am
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have to leave for work now..I just feel i need to add that neither myself or the person who is claiming the debt is a licensed bookmaker or bet taker. i dont know whether this makes any difference.
could you please email your opinions
If the money became owing 8 years ago then it is likely that the other party is out of time to claim it because there is a statutory limitation period of 6 years to pursue debts. So legally they may well be out of time to actually make a court claim to try and get that money. The time limit can be extended if you have made a payment towards the debt within the last 6 years or have acknowledged it in any way. However, if neither of these has happened, the likelihood is that they are now statute barred to make a claim. In terms of getting a debt company to pursue the debt, it is not necessary to have an acknowledgement from you before they are able to take action against you. However, a debt collector is a rather toothless option because they cannot force you to pay anything. They are just there to be a nuisance and to try and make you pay the debt in order to get them off your back. Saying that, they should still behave professionally and making 30 calls a day could start to amount to harassment. You could advise them of that if necessary and ask that they stop pursuing you for a debt which you refuse to acknowledge and for which there is no formal judgment in favour of the party pursuing it. This is your basic legal position. I have more detailed advice for you in terms of the laws on harassment and what you could say to them to put ore pressure on them to stop, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you
Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for the rating. So as mentioned this conduct could potentially amount to harassment, which could be both a civil matter and a criminal one. The law states that a person must not pursue a course of conduct which amounts to harassment of another and which he or she knows or ought to know amounts to harassment. Although there is no definition of what specifically amounts to harassment, it would usually include alarming a person or causing them distress and must have occurred on at least two occasions.
Under criminal law, and if this is reported to the police who then take action, the punishment for harassment can be imprisonment and/or a fine. A court may also impose a restraining order for the purpose of protecting the victim.
In addition to criminal action, a civil claim can also be brought against a person who is alleged to be guilty of causing harassment. The courts would award compensation to the victim, something that is unlikely to happen if this is pursued as a criminal issue.
So in the first instance the police can be contacted and this matter reported to them as harassment. However, they will not often get involved in trivial disputes so if they believe that this is not serious enough they could refuse to help and advise you that this is a civil matter. In such circumstances, the victim can warn the harasser that their actions are being treated as harassment and that unless they refrain from such behaviour in the future they will be reported to the police and legal action under harassment legislation taken against them.