How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 50158
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

How do I get a copy of my file from the managing agents of

This answer was rated:

How do I get a copy of my file from the managing agents of my apartment block? I have asked but they are refusing
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified solicitor and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. What is in your file that you wish to see?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Its the copy of the file that they have on me
But do you know what is sorted on that file?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It would have everything to do with me and my property. I am a an estate agent agent and was taught that anyone can ask for a copy of their file under the data protection act, and everything we held on that client including notes had to be handed over. How do I get them to hand my file, whatever is on it
Yes you are correct that Section 7 of the Data Protection Act 1998 entitles an individual to request from a data controller a copy of any information which amounts to personal data about them. The process is known as a Subject Access Request (SAR). If you wish to make a SAR, you need to write to the organisation that holds the data in question. Your letter should include the following information:· Make it clear that you are making a 'subject access request in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998';· Provide details of the data you are requesting copies of;· Your main personal details - full name, date of birth and address;· Any information you believe the organisation will require to find your information. They may ask for a fee to fulfil your request, which should not be more than £10. Once you have provided all the relevant information and fee, they must send you a formal response within 40 days. However, you cannot force them to disclose the data, if they did not want to they can dig their heels in and simply refuse to provide the requested copies. The main remedies open to individuals if they suspect a breach of the above rules are:· A statutory request to the Information Commissioner asking them to determine whether or not it is likely that the SAR has been carried out lawfully.· An application to court alleging breach of the SAR rules and seeking an order for compliance.· A claim for damages against the data controller and, if the individual concerned can show they have suffered damage I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
A quick question, am I charged £38 for this, or would that be for a phonecall? Or would a phone call be an extra £38?
Calls are extra, so the amount you have paid is just for the written exchange
Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you