How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 50148
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now
This answer was rated:

I have been harassed 2 years by an individual,

hello, I have been harassed... Show More
hello, I have been harassed for over 2 years by an individual, online on Social Media, via email and also via my professional associates.
Today he informed by professional regulatory body that I had admitted to harassing him, and accepted a formal caution. Neither of which are true.
I would like to take action against him for harassment, but would like to know how to go about this. Most solicitors seem to deal with harassment at work etc.
Show Less
Ask Your Own Law Question
Hello have you taken any action so far have you reported this to anyone
Customer reply replied 2 years ago.
Hello, no I havent reported it to anyone yet. I did email him maybe a year ago to ask him to stop, and I got a reply saying ok, however, he has continued. I was advised to ignore it, however, he has now made a further claim that I have accepted a police caution which is not true. The earlier emails and postings were over two years ago, and I understand that with the change in the libel laws I had left it too late to take action, however, I feel this is just pure harassment now.
This conduct could potentially amount to harassment, which could be both a civil matter and a criminal one. The law states that a person must not pursue a course of conduct which amounts to harassment of another and which he or she knows or ought to know amounts to harassment. Although there is no definition of what specifically amounts to harassment, it would usually include alarming a person or causing them distress and must have occurred on at least two occasions.Under criminal law, and if this is reported to the police who then take action, the punishment for harassment can be imprisonment and/or a fine. A court may also impose a restraining order for the purpose of protecting the victim.In addition to criminal action, a civil claim can also be brought against a person who is alleged to be guilty of causing harassment. The courts would award compensation to the victim, something that is unlikely to happen if this is pursued as a criminal issue.So in the first instance the police can be contacted and this matter reported to them as harassment. However, they will not often get involved in trivial disputes so if they believe that this is not serious enough they could refuse to help and advise you that this is a civil matter. In such circumstances, the victim can warn the harasser that their actions are being treated as harassment and that unless they refrain from such behaviour in the future they will be reported to the police and legal action under harassment legislation taken against them.To start legal action in court you do not actually need a solicitor to do this and can make the claim yourself. Of course having a solicitor would help but it will add costs at the same time. If you want to engage one then any solicitor specialising in civil litigation should help although some may decide that this is not something they can take on so some shopping around may be required on your part. In terms of the legal limit to claim the limit for civil claims is 6 years so you should still be well within this. I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Customer reply replied 2 years ago.
thank you, ***** ***** thing please, I have amassed a huge amount of evidence, do I issue a summons in county court? And if so, do I need to advise him that I am taking legal action, or do I just go ahead with it?
Yes it would be the county court and you do not need to warn him of impending action