How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71135
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

If you are witness to a crime and the police call you to court

This answer was rated:

If you are witness to a crime and the police call you to court can you refuse to give evidence in court?
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My daughter and her boyfriend were in a pub and there was a fight which was started by some other guys who thumped and knocked out her boyfriend. He sustained a broken nose and the police took statements and cctv footage and charged these other guys with ABH and common assault. She has been told she has to go to court on Monday to be a witness and she is terrified. She would rather forget about the whole thing and wants to know her rights. Does she have to go to court and if so does she have to be a witness?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jo,Did you get my question?Best,Duncan
Has she made a statement ?
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes she made an original statement and also one to say she didn't want to attend because she was scared.
Are you ready now?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.