How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

A tennant has been sub-letting my flat via

Customer Question

A tennant has been sub-letting my flat via for a number of months without my knowledge. The concierge has documented evidence of dates and the number of people staying for the last 2 months. Where do I stand legally?
Many Thanks
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
You would need to take legal action against your tenant for breach of contract as your tenant sublet the property without your consent.
You may also take eviction proceedings against your tenant and get them to vacate the property.
Hope this helps
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your responseApologies, I should have said 'lodger' rather than tenant. His agreement ran out and I have to get hime to sign another oneI am meeting with my lodger tomorrow to discuss this and am unsure what legal action I can scare him with?Also, am I in a position to change the locks on the property and prevent his entry until I am available to watch him remove his possessions?Many ThanksJulia
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is anyone going to answer my previous question ??
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
Do you share the property with the lodger?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He's been on tenancy agreement and now I'm going to change it to lodgers agreement and move in.
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
When you have moved in and changed the agreement to a lodgers agreement, you then need to give reasonable notice to the person to move out and after the notice has expired and the person does not move out you may change the locks when they are out. You will need to give them back their personal belongings.
All the best
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can I not get him to sign the agreement today at 11am and get him to move out straight away as he has breached his agreement by letting people stay in flat. They will leave today at 12 noon
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My previous question was not answered ? Since then I have spoken to my tenant and he refuses to sign another agreement. I told him he was in breach of his tenancy agreement as such he is illegally in my flat as from 4th November and must vacate by 3rd December. I'm changing locks on 4th December