How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I have just sold a house and need some advice on CGT. I have

This answer was rated:

I have just sold a house and need some advice on CGT. I have read the online guidance but do not think it quite covers my situation.
I bought house in 2001 for my parents to live in. They did not pay me rent. I did not live in this house.
I bought my own house (primary residence) in 2010.
I then sold the other house in 2014.
It does not seem right that I should be paying CGT for the whole period I owned this as I did not have another primary residence. However that seems to be the conclusion from the guidance.
Advice appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just realised, might be worth adding that I changed the house in Scotland to be in the name of my wife as well as me before we sold it (assuming that I can split any tax bill between us). Thanks
Hi, thanks for your question. I am a qualified solicitor.
Just need some clarification. Was the home that your parents lived in sold or the home bought in 2010 sold?
Harris and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The house my parents lived in is the one that was sold. I think the one I live in is very clearly my primary residence since 2010.
Thanks. Between 2001 and 2010 where were you residing? What was your primary residence yhen?, and what were your terms of occupation?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was living in rented accommodation in London. So I don't think I technically had a primary residence. I was working in an office in London; not sure i understand the question about terms of occupation.
From 2010 - 2014 you will be subject to CGT in relation to the home in Scotland.
However, from 2001-2010, from what I can see there are no exemptions you can rely on, despite you not having an alternative property as your "primary residence".
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You mean I am subject to CGT for the whole period right? Sorry for the question but your "however" confused me. Thanks
Apologies for the confusion - CGT would be payable for the whole period.