How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 12182
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

Good morning, Is possible to use the title of Doctor or Dr

This answer was rated:

Good morning, Is possible to use the title of Doctor or Dr on public documents, contracts, bank statements and in everyday life presentations? I ask this because in Italy it's illegal if a degree it's not comparable to an italian degree. My degree it's
issued by a Swiss University and authenticated with an apostille as public act. Answers only from UK solicitor.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
On my degree it's written Bachelor of Doctor
In the UK you can be known as a doctor if you hold a medical degree or hold a doctor of philosophy, Ie, a PH.D. The country of origin would not be relevant. The expression Bachelor of Doctor is not known in the UK. Is it a postgraduate degree? In what subject? Do you have any other background to the qualification and its equivalent in the UK or other European countries?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The degree report this title: Degree of Bachelor (Doctor) (it's not a medical degree).
In the nation that this degree it's issued I'm the legal right with this degree to be called Doctor or use title Dr.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's a base degree so in swiss exists this 3 types:
> Bachelor << my title but with the right to be called Doctor
> Master
> Phd
In that case you could use that title in the UK.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes, but I need of a clear confirmation because in italy you can go in jail if a title it's not recognized by government and you use this title.
I want also to know what happens a people just use this title in UK and don't have the rights.
This is not Italy. In the UK you can more or less call yourself what you like as long as it is not in the furtherance of a fraud.
So if you have a degree from a foreign country that allows you to call yourself Dr. then the UK will respect the law of that country and its educational institutions and allow yourself to call yourself Dr. In this country.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
>> Have you a link of an official document that testify that? <<
Because I've listen that the professional titles it's protected in UK, it's strange.
Are you sure that use the title of Doctor (also if a person don't have any degree) there aren't penalities or fine?
There is no official document or law about this. In the Uk you can call yourself whatever you want as long as it's not for the purpose of committing fraud. That is the common law. It's not written down. That's all I can tell you.
JGM and other Law Specialists are ready to help you