How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35058
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I have been a victim of a sham marriage, the person has been

This answer was rated:

I have been a victim of a sham marriage, the person has been found guilty in a UK court of law. My bigamous marriage has since been annulled. Whilst making marriage preparations the perpetrator also changed thee children names to my family name.
According to the UK citizens advice bureau its illegal to change a child's name if to deceive or defraud another person. I consider myself such a person. How do I go about getting this name change reversed and what is the penalty for this crime?
HiThank you for your questionMy name is***** shall do my best to help you but I need some further information firstHow old are the children now and when did the name change take place/
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Clare,The children are now 15 and 18, the change of name took place in 2008 in the UK.
Where are the children now?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Living in Derby UK,
How did changing their names defraud you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I thinks its more deception, she agreed to change there names as part of the her plan to make it look like the weeding was real and so we would all share my surname, to make us all seem like one family. . I am currently looking into if the name change was actuality done in accordance with the correct procedures however we are basing this question on the answer being yes.
I am afraid that there has been no crime committed - other than of course the bigamy for which she has already been convicted.
The names were not changed with a view to defrauding you of anything - the fraud was in marrying you when she knew she was not legally able to do so.
I am also sorry but you cannot insist that their names are ***** ***** - they are entitled to use any name they wish . The only person who could have objected was a father named on the birth certificate - and it is now too late for him to take action either.
I am sorry not to give you better news - but do ask if you need further details
Clare and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you