How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32086
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I live in an urban area of Fleet, Hants. All the surface

Customer Question

I live in an urban area of Fleet, Hants. All the surface water drainage from our property exits via a 30cm underground pipe which leaves our boundary and goes immediately under a pavement and public highway, and thence under one or more properties at the other side of the street. We suffered some flooding in August because there was some impediment downstream of our drainage pipe. Thames Water cleared the blockage but then advised me that as the pipe was not on their maps, it was not actually their responsibility and they would not be able to do so on another occasion. It is, they say, a private pipeline.
Our house was built in the 1920's and subsequent development has meant that we are now in the middle of a fully built-up area. The ideal solution would be either (i) that Highways acknowledge responsibility for the pipe, or (ii) that Thames Water now adopt responsibility for the pipe and thereby ensure consistency throughout this urban area.
Do I have any rights in this matter, and if so, with whom should I take the matter up?
I would greatly appreciate any advice you can offer.
Kind regards,
Mike XXX
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi, Nicola
Yes, I'm happy to wait as you suggest, and I would be glad if you would continue your search.
I look forward to hearing further.
Kind regards,
Mike Thomson
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Thank you for your patience,