How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I did hire a solicitor in 2013 housing issues

This answer was rated:

Hi, I did hire a solicitor in 2013 for some housing issues with my landlord. The solicitor in question increased his fees by 920 GBP amount that I rejected due to the fact that exchanges time frame with the landlord solicitor was not respected. As no responses were given to the other party solicitor, the Landlord / solicitor proposal was never acknowledged and therefore counter proposal taken as null from the Landlord.
Today, 02/12/2015 after more than two years of silence (last exchanges 07/11/2013)
I received an email from my solicitor stating that he will launch legal actions to retrieve those funds despite that he verbally accepted the fact I was not happy with his work and the time frame. I don't have this money, is there any way out ?
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
Did anyone witness this conversation please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I believe my wife was present.
If you refuse to pay all the Solicitor can do is issue a claim in the County court and if any dispute is less than £10,000 then it is a small claim and you wont rack up expensive lawyer fees.
If your wife was present then this supports your case. Given the Solicitor has waited this long this would seem to indicate that there was a verbal agreement. If it went to Court the Solicitor would have to prove there was no verbal agreement.
Given the time delay and your wife present I think the claim against you would fail.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Ash and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Please call me @ Tel. ***********