How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I am in dispute with my ex fiancée. We split up August

Customer Question

Hi. I am in dispute with my ex fiancée. We split up August 2014 and she moved out of our co owned(50/50) house. I pay all bills. I have allowed her free access to the house up until 3 weeks ago as I found out that she had been having an affair when we were together so I changed the locks on the house as I feel I cannot trust her. I have told her that she can come to the house to retrieve any of her belongings when I am in, also I have requested a forwarding address for her mail that she is still getting but she will not give me an address.
She has now threatened me with the Police and solicitor's as she is stating that she is not allowed by law to be locked out of the house.
Is this true and where do I stand legally?
Many thanks,
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Harris replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thanks for your question. I am a qualified family law solicitor.
As the property is jointly owned with your ex-fiancé she has a right to live there. You cannot change the locks unless there has been an order by the court preventing her from returning to the property and legally she can come and go as she pleases.
Given the breakdown in the relationship and likely legal issues that will arise I would suggest that you propose mediation so that you can sit down with her and an independent mediator in order to attempt to reach an agreement. You can find a local mediator here:
Please do let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  Harris replied 2 years ago.
Hi, this question remains open. Please could you rate my response positive if you found the information helpful so that the question can be closed.