How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

One of my closest friend took a career coaching service

This answer was rated:

One of my closest friend took a career coaching service (8 sessions: £175 per session, but she only paid £885 as a discount package price), hoping to get some practical advice on her career, but instead she experienced a verbal abuse and deragatory comment from a career counselor that she is seeing a therapist to overcome psycological demage she received from a counselor.
Given not only it didnt help her on her career but also she experienced emotional trauma from the sessions. Can we claim for the full refund + emotional damage she received? We would like to know what legal avenue we can pursue to resolve the issue.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at:  or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.
If the system won’t let you please click reply.
Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help:
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the reply. Sorry, I just saw this reply.I worked with a career coach (I paid for 6 sessions for about £850). I felt bullied by the coach, and left my 4th session in tears. I wanted my CV and learn more about other career options but I was just constantly told "you're not ready for it. I'm offended, etc. etc." After 4 sessions, I feel that my money was wasted and my emotions really hurt.I emailed my career coach for a refund for the remaining two sessions and she ignored my emails for about two weeks and then got upset that I cc'ed my husband in the latest two emails I sent for a refund (I sent 4 emails). After two weeks, she finally gave me a refund of only £155.This was a big investment on my part as I wanted a career change. If she helped with my resume, interviews, cover letter, etc. I would have felt that money was actually spend on something. I feel that I deserve at least half a refund (if not full) as she was not helpful. I would like your opinion.Once I receive your reply, I will give you an "excellent" review. Thank you.
Yes indeed, I would agree. Claim for the full refund as the Court can always award less. But you can never claim more than in the claim! So you can go down but cant go up.
Is that ok?
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Alex, can I get a solicitor to write a statement with a list of my losses and request for a refund within 14 days? I prefer not to speak with her anymore, if possible.Also, how much would it cost me to proceed with this? Thanks.
You can but this would cost you about £250 and those coasts can't be recovered as a small claim,