How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

Good afternoon, I am a married, 54 year old man with twins,

Customer Question

Good afternoon,
I am a married, 54 year old man with twins, aged 20, one of each sex.
My son currently owes me about £2,400.00 with the bulk of it owing since March of this year. This total is after making infrequent payments of two or three hundred pounds.
I asked him last night as a proposal if he would consider creating a direct debit bank order to pay me a sum each month. He flatly refused. He said his intention was not to pay it back (even though he knew it was a loan at the time and said he was saving to get a new car on HP in January.
I rallied back on the fact that he pays no housekeeping and as of January expected him to make a contribution, which I think I am entitled to do.
He currently has two salaries with a combined monthly income of £1k. I cannot tell you what he spend this amount on but girls, petrol, shopping, fast food would most probably cover the bulk of it.
The questions I have are as follows_
a) What is the correct procedure for creating a CCJ?
b) How long does it take to prepare and submit?
c) What is an estimated cost of such an action?
d) What is the correct procedure for eviction?
e) What are the likely costs?
f) What is the timeframe?
Thank you in advance for your assistance.
With kind regards
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Harris replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thanks for your question. I am a qualified solicitor.
Have you considered mediation where an independent third party attempts to assist you reaching an agreement? If you do not think it would work then you can submit a claim:
The quickest way you can submit a money claim is online here: It will take 30-60 minutes to complete online and submit.
The court fee for the debt owed to you is £105.
The claim will take 2 days to issue by the court. The court allows 5 calendar days after issuing for it to be served. after these 5 calendar days he will have 14 calendar days to respond.
If he does not respond then you can apply for a judgment ordering him to pay the debt.
In relation to the eviction, this will depend on whether or not he is listed on the tenancy/title deed. If he is not then all you will need to do is give him reasonable notice to leave (preferably in writing).