How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35044
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My son has separated from his girlfriend of 16 years. they

This answer was rated:

My son has separated from his girlfriend of 16 years. they lived together and have a child of six.
My son has offered to pay £1400 per month to support the child.
He has been earning £170K. Is his offer reasonable and does the law require that he provides his p60 and details of his earnings.
Best regards
HiThank you for your questionMy name is***** shall do my best to help you but I need some further information firstIs that earning figure gross or net?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How many nights a week will the child spend with your son?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He sees her at weekends and holidays
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He has agreed to keep paying until she is 18
Doe she have er overnight at weekends- if so how many nights?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She usually stays at the weekend
one night or two?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Two nights if her mother allows, but sometimes only one. Given the choice my son would prefer two nights.
Under the CMS?CSA rules your son shoudl be paying 12% of his income less a deduction to reflect the number of nights a year he has the child in his care.
You can read more here
and yes he would be expected to produce evidence of his income.
Of course he and his former partner can agree an alternative figure - but if they cannot do so then those are the rules which will apply.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need furthet details
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you