How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I have been summoned to family courts by the father of my baby.

This answer was rated:

I have been summoned to family courts by the father of my baby. He wants access and to force me to use the babies name (as on the birth cirtuficate )which is the fathers surname ,I have started using my surname for the baby. Can the courts force me to use his surname.
Hi, thanks for your question. I am a qualified family law solicitor.
You must use the child's surname as it is registered on the birth certificate, unless there has been a formal agreement between you and the father to change the name, or if there is a court order changing the child's name.
If you wish to continue to use your surname, you will need to make a cross-application for a Specific Issue Order for a change of name under a form C100 to the same court.
The Court will look at all the facts of the case and what is in the child's best interests when deciding whether to change a name.
Harris and other Law Specialists are ready to help you