How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I need some advice. i was renting a room in a property

This answer was rated:

i need some advice. i was renting a room in a property last year. i recently moved out.during my stay i asked my wife to change her bank address to the property address i was renting the room in so she wouldn't miss her statements (my wife was staying outside the country). the landlord called me and said that his credit rating went down because of that. my question is can he sue my wife or me because of this? he claims that his new mortgage quote went up because of it.
Hi, thanks for your question. I am a qualified solicitor.
Not sure what he is basing this on as credit ratings are based on each individual and not on the address - therefore that should not have impacted his mortgage quotes.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
would that be considered as fraud tho?
If she was not living in the address the bank should have been informed of her foreign address and no fixed abode, but using your address as a "care of" address is not fraud.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it wanst like careof address i told my wife to change her address to my address before she left. and the bank wasnt told about her trip.
How long was the trip for and was she expecting to move in with you on her return?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
he hasn't paid my bond money back. wanted to know if he could sue my wife for that before going head to head with him for my bond money. my wife was away for one year when i rented room in his house in which he stayed aswell. she is back now and i moved out before she came back. she never stayed at that property.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
if he can prove that his mortgage went up because of it will i be liable to pay him any money
I honestly doubt that this would have caused an increase to his mortgage, especially if he had a buy-to-let mortgage.
The only way I can think it would effect his mortgage is if he had not disclosed to his mortgage provider that he was renting the property, and if that is the case he would have been in breach of his mortgage terms.
You will need to see what terms were included in your tenancy agreement regarding such issues, but if it is not included then your landlord has no case.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
this said quote was for a new house he is planning to buy. he said that his new house mortgage interest was higher and his financial advisor told him that my wife's name showed on his credit report which is the cause of increased interest rate.
Ask him to show you the credit report. Her name should not be shown on his credit report as they are not linked.
If, for some reason they are, he needs to contact the relevant credit agencies to inform them of this incorrect link.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thankyou very much. you were of great help. hope i get my bond money back. thanks again.
Thank you. Please do come back if you have any further issues in the future. You can ask me directly here:
Harris and other Law Specialists are ready to help you