How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 50206
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I'm am NHS consultant I move to UK from Italy in 2003

This answer was rated:

I'm am NHS consultant
I move to UK from Italy in 2003 first as a locum than on a permanent position from 01.09.2004
I worked in Italy as Consultant Pathologist for 10 years 1993-2003 in than Italian NHS
I recently discovered that I was put on the bottom the of pay scale
I that time I was not advised about the possibility that my previous experience allow me to start from a different salary point.
By the way previous experience was recognized to some of my colleagues.
My feeling is that I was treated in an unfair way.
My question is: any chance to claim the "lost" money back?
Kind regards
Hello were you ever advised that your experience would be taken into account and given a specific salary you would be on as a result?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What was the situation of the colleagues who were treated differently - were they with the same background and experience from the same country?
Unless you were specifically told at the start that your experience will count and you were promised a specific salary based on that, it would be very difficult to claim I'm afraid. The employer does not have to automatically take your past experience into account and it is up to them if they want to make that part of your salary package. So if they did not advise you of this at the start and offer you a specific package based on that, you cannot really claim for it. They offered you a package at the beginning and you took the job based on that. If you were unhappy with it you could have refused it. However by accepting it and starting to work on it you have agreed to take it and be bound by it. You have nothing to lose by approaching the employer directly over this and asking them to compensate you but if they refuse, which they can do, your only option is to go to court and in the circumstances that would be a rather risky claim to pursue.
I'm sorry if this is not necessarily the answer you were hoping for, however I do have a duty to be honest and explain the law as it actually stands. This does mean delivering bad news from time to time. I hope you understand and would be happy to provide any further clarification if needed. If you are still satisfied with the level of service you have received I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page. Thank you
Ben Jones and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you