How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

My son is dual nationality - English/German and passed

This answer was rated:

Hi, my son is dual nationality - English/German and passed his driving test in 2009 and was disqualified fro D/D in 2011. To regain his licence he has to do what is commonly known as an "Idiot's Test" which is going to cost him over £1000. However he has sent me a number of pages of script downloaded from the internet where it states that he could legally apply for a UK licence and use it to drive in Germany. There are individuals and companies charging upwards of £600 to do all the necessary "leg work" and obtain these licences without the recipients ever setting foot in UK.
I have spoken to the DVLA( today) and my son is not eligible unless a UK resident.
Please help
Regards ***** *****
Hello Tony,
You have been advised correctly by DVLA. A GB driving licence may only be issued if your son is residing in the UK and has a UK address.
The agents who advise non UK residents to convert their EU licences without them residing in the UK are effectively telling such applicants to break the law, which I would strongly advise against as any insurance obtained with such a fraudulently obtained licence may also be invalid.
All the best
UKSolicitorJA and other Law Specialists are ready to help you