How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71140
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I am seeking advice as I am not working due to ill health,

This answer was rated:

Hello I am seeking advice as I am not working due to ill health, my estranged husband has got into financial difficulties i.e claiming housing benefit when he should not have been. Now the court have told me that I have to sell my house to pay his debt when it was nothing to do with me as he was living away from the family home for the last 13 years. Can they make me homeless through no fault of mine?
Thank you
Jeannette Cerikan
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Is he going bankrupt?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not that I know off, would it be better if he did?
Not particularly. The equity in your house would be a target.
Which court is this before?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Gloucester Crown Court
Is this a proceeds of crime act matter?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The local council took him to court, and he was given a suspended sentence for 21 months, that is what I was told by his brother. But as I have said we have not lived together for the last 13 years so the information I am getting is through his brother. Does this make sense?
You do need to get to the bottom of this but I think that this can only be a proceeds of crime act matter.
Unless, I suppose, they have a compensation order in the sum taken and they are pursuing the house because he has equity in it. That is possible although doesn't happen often.
However, I don't think it could be a proceeds of crime act plunder unless they are saying this particular house was purchased with tainted money. Impossible to tell really. That is something you will need to investigate.
If it were a proceeds of crime act matter then you would have had the right to make representations as a joint owner.
However, it is certainly right that you can be forced to sell to release equity to pay his debts. Your share of the house will be protected and your equity ringfenced for you alone but his equity can only be released by sale I'm afraid.
If you can more information I might be able to offer more.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello thank you, ***** ***** is no equity in the house as we borrowed the money from his family, and they took the house back in there names, as we split up. He lived in Cheltenham and I lived in Tetbury
That sounds like proceeds of crime then. They are saying this is a tainted purchase.
Jo C. and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So does this mean I need to get a lawyer?
You would be entitled to make representations.
The only other thing may be that they could be saying the transfer to his family wasn't genuine but again that sounds like proceeds of crime.