How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71130
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

There, I received a fixed penalty notice from the road

This answer was rated:

Hi There,
I received a fixed penalty notice from the road camera dept for speeding, 70 mph on a 60 mph limit, I was offered the fixed penalty of £100. As I am pension credit guarantee, I am unable to pay this within 28 days, it said on the notice it must be paid in full, I wrote back explaining I could not pay it in 28 days , and could I pay by instalments, I never got a reply,
today I got a further letter from the procurator fiscals office offering me the same fixed penalty on £100 to be paid in 28 days, it says I could be fined £1000, I just physicaly can not pay it in one go, the most I could pay if I put my heating off for 3 days £10 per week,
is there anything else I can do, or do I just have to go to court and let them decide what I can pay, as I said I am not denying the charge, it was 5am on a Sunday morning and the road was very quiet, and I just did not realize I was over the limit, I m not making an excuse, but that's what happened
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
There isn't really. They will not agree to instalments. Fixed penalties are fixed penalties and need to be paid within their time limit so that if people do not they have enough time to summons as there is a six month limit on the matter.
If you went to court the financial penalties are higher generally but you do get time to pay. Sometimes you can walk away with a comparable penalty to the fixed penalty but it is obviously high risk.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you