How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ukfamilysolicitor Your Own Question
ukfamilysolicitor, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1373
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor Currently specialising in Family. Also experienced in Corporate, Employment, Civil Litigation, Debt Recovery
Type Your Law Question Here...
ukfamilysolicitor is online now

My partner and I are going to buy a house together, unfortunately

Customer Question

My partner and I are going to buy a house together, unfortunately we are both nearer 70 than 60! However, I have problems with his son who doesn't acknowledge me at all even though I have been with his father for 7 years. How do I make sure that in the event that I died first, how would I word a will to make sure that my daughter didn't suffer financially? Also my partner wants it worded that whoever dies first, the other be allowed to live in the house until their death. I am so confused by this that I badly need your help.Thank you, Judy
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 2 years ago.
Hello Judy
Welcome to Just Answer
I am a Solicitor and will assist you.
Age is only a number and I do hope you enjoy your new home together.
You need to clarify when you buy your house whether the property will be held as tenants in common or joint tenants.
This is really quite important.
If you become Joint Tenants - then it would not matter when a will said. The right of survivorship would apply and the property would transfer to the surviving owner - no matter what a will said.
If you become tenants in common then you each own shares in your the property. The right of survivorship doesn't apply and your share is dealt with as per your will. You can also include in your will that your partner can reside in the property for the rest of their days.
It's best you speak with your conveyancer to make sure that you are registered at the land registry as the correct type of joint owners.
Please also be aware that if you decided to marry - the position would change. Your will would become automatically revoked and the house would become matrimonial property.
Kind Regards
Positive feedback is gratefully received