How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 12088
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

My father died in a poppyhome2nd november 2013. He was a difficult

This answer was rated:

my father died in a poppyhome2nd november 2013. He was a difficult man to relate to, as he had post war stress from WW2, eg-mood swings as I LIVE ON THE iSLE MAN visits would be awkward and exspensive.Iasked the Home manager if they would keep my phone number handy, in case of anything untoward happening, the result is Ifound out today9th December 2015 that he died 2years ago nobody from there has been in touch about his death,funeral will or anything, their reply is "they will have to look in their archives, and ring me next week" IN 2009 Iaccompanied him to a solicitor to make a will on his suggetion, this could possibly have been changed a number of times;conclusion,he was my biological father, and i was his only son, as the event was 2 years ago were do I stand please help many thanks joe
Thank you for your question.
Did your father leave any estate that you are aware of?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
he sold his cottage months before he went into sheltered accom,and then into the poppyhome,so I would say yes in 2009 along with accompanying to solicitors for will he also handed his bank details to me in case he got too infirm to deal with them,I have never taken over it, as he entered the poppyhome, approx,price on cottage sale £120.000
You should see the solicitor who made the will. I presume you were appointed executor. Contact should be made with the bank to ascertain what is in the account and also you have to find out what money the care home are holding or may be due back to the estate. Your first port of call should be the solicitor.
I hope that helps. Happy to discuss further.
Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Law Specialists are ready to help you