How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35059
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My Wife and I are separating and have split all our savings

This answer was rated:

My Wife and I are separating and have split all our savings and investments 50/50, we have no dependants, there are no debts and no mortgage on our house. we have decided to pool our pensions and split the total 50/50. my wife is choosing to look for a property in Kent where as I have opted for Suffolk/Norfolk, as the area i have chosen is cheaper than Kent my believes that as she will have less money left after her purchase That i should let her have a larger split of the house sale proceeds, surely as this is her choice to live in kent has she got any right to expect a larger share.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How long have you lived together and are there any children involved?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We have been married for 41 years, both of our children are married and self supporting
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My mobile number ***********
Just give me an overview of the capital and income you will each have
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My pension is approx 1600 p/m my wifes is 600p/m we have pooled them and split 50/50
and we both have approx £50.000 in savings each the house sale will hopefully realise approx $615000.00 of which we had intended to split 50/50 so that we each ended up with exactly the same amount .
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry that should be Pounds not dollars
Just to confirm - there is still sufficient capital for your wife to house herself in Kent - she will just have less left over that you will - is that the totality of her argument?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes , and she believes that she should have a larger cut from the sale if the house. I understand that there are certain procedures to go through with a separation such as a ' separation agreement ' and an agreement regarding the pensions , can she stop the sale of the house in any way even if she doesn't want to separate but I do ?
How far has the sale reached?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Still on market awaiting sale
The fact that you can get "more house to the pound" because you chose to leave Kent does not mean that your wife can have a larger share of the assets provided she has enough to buy a property, so there is no reason to offer more in terms of settlement.
However I am afraid that at this stage if your wife does not co-operate with the sale it cannot go ahead until there is a Court Order within Divorce proceedings.
It could be sensible to try and discuss matters with her in future using Family mediation
so that there is a structure to the discussions
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you