How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

Law, can you please tell me. I have built an extension

This answer was rated:

Hello Law, can you please tell me. I have built an extension for a customer and he will not pay the invoice . He is happy with the work apart from a door which has swelled .
I hold the keys to the property and he wants them back.
And I hold on to them?
Mr Paul Emmett
Hi, thanks for your question. I am a qualified solicitor.
No, you cannot withhold the keys to his property. I would suggest that you formally write to them and threaten that you will take the matter to court if it is not paid within a certain date.
You can proceed with a money claim here: - However, the court will need to see that you attempted to settle the matter before issuing a claim, therefore you will need to formally provide them with a letter before action outlining the outstanding payments.
Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding this.
Harris and other Law Specialists are ready to help you