How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I recently sent a payment in error to the wrong bank (Sort

This answer was rated:

I recently sent a payment in error to the wrong bank (Sort code was typed in incorrectly by me). My bank have informed me that the unintended recipient of my funds (From another bank) has not given them permission to reclaim the funds.
My bank has advised the following to me; Consult Citizens advice bureau or consult independent legal advice.
Does the unintended recipient have any right to keep the money? And what do I need to do next to claim my money back?
Many Thanks
Hi, thanks for your question. I am a qualified solicitor.
Unfortunately, if the recipient is refusing to return the money, the bank's hands are tied. Your only other option is to pursue the matter to court. You are able to do this online here:
The bank (either your bank or the recipient's bank) should be able to provide you contact details for the recipient so you can include them in the claim to be served.
Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding this.
Harris and other Law Specialists are ready to help you