How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

My girlfriend and I both live and work full time in London

Customer Question

My girlfriend and I both live and work full time in London UK and have done so for over a year.
She is Canadian and has a 2 year youth visa. She is 15 months into that visa.
I while also from Canada, have an Irish passport, so I have just been here using that.
We have been together for 5 years, and lived together for the last 4 years. We have lived together in London for 15 months of those last 4 years, before that living together in Canada
We have built great careers here and are trying to buy a flat in London. In order to do this, and obtain a mortgage, My girlfriend needs some sort of residence card, registration status or right to live in the UK for more then the next 3 years. Under advice We have obtained the: "Application for a registration certificate or residence card as the extended family member of a European Economic Area (EEA) or Swiss national"
My questions are around: do we have any chance of my girlfriend obtaining some sort of residency status, is this the right application to apply for, and is it possible to get answers around questions specific to the application its self.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
Yes, that is the right application to make. You have been advised correctly.
Your girlfriend needs to prove that she is in a durable relationship with you and that you have been both living as a couple together for at least 2 years at the same address.
I suggest that you read this internal guidance very carefully, the relevant sections are under durable relationships:
If the application is successful, your girlfriend will get a 5 years Residence Card and she may apply for a permanent residence card once her 5 years card expires.
Hope this helps