How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I allowed my brother and his girlfriend to stay in two bed

This answer was rated:

I allowed my brother and his girlfriend to stay in two bed house in thamesmead. I didnt give any tenancy agreement to them. The arrangement was that they pay £600.00 a month and I would stay in one of the bedrooms if I wanted. They haven't kept up with rent payment. I want to change the locks of the house. Would I be breaking the law ?
Hi, thanks for your question. I am a qualified solicitor.
Unfortunately, even without a written tenancy agreement they can rely on the verbal contract as a tenancy agreement. In this case you would need to serve them with a Section 21 and a Section 8 notice (if the rent is over 2 months outstanding) - giving them Notice Seeking Possession and Possession Notice respectively. If they have not left when the notice period expires you will need to pursue an application to court to evict them and obtain the outstanding rent.
You cannot change the locks as this is considered illegal eviction and they will be able to claim against you.
Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding this.
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively so that the question can be closed.
Harris and other Law Specialists are ready to help you