How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jenny Your Own Question
Jenny, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6428
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jenny is online now

I left the police force in June 2015 after an investigation

Customer Question

I left the police force in June 2015 after an investigation into alleged data protection and misconduct offences against. The investigation was discontinued and I left with no disciplinary record. Since leaving at least 2 potential employers withdrew verbal job offers that they had made during interviews following receipt of a reference from the police which detailed the allegations against me. The police solicitor has admitted by e mail that the reference should not have been written in the way it was and that I was entitled to a reference which confirmed my dates of employment without mention of any unproven disciplinary action. However he thinks that I am entitled to nothing more than an apology where I believe the police broke employment and data protection laws and should compensate me for the potential loss of earnings and the stress that me and my family suffered. What is your view?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today.
If the references were factually incorrect you can potentially bring a claim against the writer (the police force) in negligent misstatement if you can show that you have suffered a financial loss as a result of the statements.
You should write to the police to ask to see a copy of the references that were written to see if this is in fact the case.
In the event that it is then you can write a letter before action alleging negligent misstatement and saying that you intend to claim to recover your losses if they do not make an offer to compensate you for them.
It may be that you need the assistance of a local litigation lawyer to help you with making this claim.
If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.