How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71042
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Good Afternoon Sir/Madam, I would be grateful if you can

This answer was rated:

Good Afternoon Sir/Madam,
I would be grateful if you can advise me on the following:-
I have a provisional licence and unfortunately someone used my car without my knowledge and they have left the country. I don't have their forwarding address.
They exceeded the speed limit by 6miles in the 30 m.p.h. speed zone (they did 36 m.p.h.). I have received a letter from the police and they want me to tell them the name of the person who was driving and their address. I think I know the name (as I am not 100% sure) but not the address.
I need to reply today or latest by tomorrow.
Thank you in advance for your assistance and cooperation.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Did you report their use to the police?
How did they get your keys?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did not know they had used my car until I received a letter from the police - they stayed with me for a week before they went home.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, meant to say hello Jo and thanks for trying to help me.
They must have stolen my keys whilst I was not at home.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jo, I am awaiting your answer. You asked me a couple of questions to which I have responded. I would be grateful for your response. Thank you.
If this person was staying with you then surely you have an address for them?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She only stayed with me for only a week prior to travelling abroad and I honestly don't have her address abroad.
You will be able to contact her though?
Just phone her and get it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have not been able to get through and I fear that she could have changed her phone number
The trouble with this is that, put simply, they are not likely to believe you. There is a very common scam in the UK where people avoid speeding offences by claiming that a person was driving who has now left the UK.
If this is what happened then you can only tell the truth on these S172 forms but there is a risk that they will investigate you for perverting. Whether they will prosecute is another matter.
I don't think the fact that you didn't report it is the end of the world but the fact that you don't have any contact information might be a little difficult to establish.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your explanation - it is sufficient and very helpful.
I have been very honest but I understand what you mean that they may not believe me. I did not even know it was a common scam in the UK. However, I will stick to the truth and tell them the same story. The truth should set me free.
Yes, you can only tell the truth.
If this is the truth then actually upon investigation you might be able to find evidence to support the presence of this person in the UK.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you
No problem and all the best.
Please remember to rate my answer.
Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That is fine - will rate you answer now
Many thanks.