How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10955
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

An ex-student has gone on record to my employer stating that

Customer Question

An ex-student has gone on record to my employer stating that I use prostitutes. This has discredited me. The student also made unfounded allegations against me. Do I have a case of libel and/or slander?
Antony Antoniou
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 2 years ago.
1. Dear Antony, you can maintain an action for defamation against this ex-student so long as any allegations made are false. This is because it is a requirement that any allegation sued upon in defamation must be false. However, using prostitutes, when you don't, would normally be considered defamatory, as it involves potential criminal activity. So too would the making of unfounded allegations. Accordingly, I would advise you to see a solicitor with a view towards issuing defamation proceedings against this ex-student. Normally, you will have to put the solicitor in funds to get defamation proceedings issued. Legal aid will not be possible for defamation proceedings. However, you should get substantial damages for any defamation action of this nature. The law jealously guards a person's reputation.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 2 years ago.
2. Please RATE the Answer as unless you RATE the Answer your Expert receives none of the monies you have paid the website so there is no incentive to answer any further questions.