How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ukfamilysolicitor Your Own Question
ukfamilysolicitor, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1371
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor Currently specialising in Family. Also experienced in Corporate, Employment, Civil Litigation, Debt Recovery
Type Your Law Question Here...
ukfamilysolicitor is online now

Can you please tell me how long do I have to complain about

This answer was rated:

Can you please tell me how long do I have to complain about a solicitor breaking the code of conduct for the Solicitors Regulation Authority?
I am a Solicitor and will assist.
Please may I ask:
- was the solicitor acting for you?
- what are the specifics of your complaint about?
Kind Regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

1. Not acting for me.

2. Broke several rules and fabricated evidence to help her sister gain a lionshare of the family assets.


Thank you for your response - I just wanted to check if the SRA or the Legal Ombudsman may be more appropriate in your circumstances.

It is the SRA that works with Solicitors to make sure that they comply with thier principles. The Legal Ombudsman deals with complaints about poor service - which is not relevant in your case.

Unlike the Legal Ombudsman - you are not expected to utilise the firms complaints procedure prior to make a report to the SRA.

The SRA would expect the report to be made within 12 months - but this can be extended if they consider it is just. The sooner the better really.

This link includes a link to the report form you need to complete:

Kind Regards


Positive feedback is gratefully received


Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Within 12 months of when I had interaction with the solicitor, or when the final hearing was?


My apologies for my delay in responding to you.

It is my understanding that the SRA will count the 12 months from the date of the report breach of their principle.

In any event - I would make your report now and do not wait any longer. The SRA do have some discretion - but the longer you wait the more difficult this will be.

Kind regards


ukfamilysolicitor and other Law Specialists are ready to help you