How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I an a British ex***** *****ving in a country which runs

This answer was rated:

Hello, I an a British ex***** *****ving in a country which runs under British law. We signed a contract to have a house built, the main contractor also British. many months overdue and problems along the way we ended finishing house ourselves. However since
completion 2 major problems have been revealed 1) the roof was fitted by a 'mate ' It leaks extensively and we have had to use sealants as a temporary fix, it needs replaced. 2) that waterproofing on the terrace was very badly done and water leaks into the
rooms below . We have had to address this one. I would like my costs at least however builder says he has no money but he is selling property adjacent to ourselves. This has taken 3 years instead of 15 months and put both my husband and I in hospital with
stress! Please advice
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
Do you know the cost of repair to get everything put right please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I think it would be in the region of fifteen or sixteen thousand pounds. Some work is ongoing at the moment and I am waiting roofing quote.
The man has no money , that is obvious, but a property, unfinished, adjacent to ours which he is advertising at a vastly inflated price.
I will answer this as if it was British law. You would get a number of quotes to get the work done right and then pick the cheapest. this would be your loss.
You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at:  or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Ash and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you