How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71140
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I was just looking - i paid a deposit to a franchisor

This answer was rated:

Hi, i was just looking for advice - i paid a deposit to a franchisor as i was interested in becoming a franchisee. I've not signed any contract and decided it wasn't for me. I contacted the franchisee but haven't heard anything back regarding my deposit.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Are you asking if you ca recover?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, it was £2500
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We were promised it was refundable and we haven't signed any contract.
Did the seller suffer any losses?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not that I'm aware of, the designated area was already on their books after the previous incumbent decided not to renew. We were asked to pay a deposit which was, we were told refundable and was the reason we decided to progress further - we then received a standard contract for review but decided not to proceed. The contract was standard with only 1/2-1 page of detail specific to ourselves. I can't see that it took more than 2minutes to print, append the page specific to the franchisee and post.
They may be entitled to some form of admin costs but it isn't going to be a great deal.
Other than that, whatever the contract says they have suffered no loss and so have no basis for withholding this.
If they do refuse though, whatever the legal position, the fact remains that they are refusing. You could sue to recover. It is a small claims court sum and so it would be cheap to issue. Probably it won't come to that but that is an option if you have to.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Your help has been very re-assuring and I'd not hesitate to recommend you - many thanks.
No problem and all the best.
Please remember to rate my answer.
Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jomo1972’.