How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I had extensive upgrading work done on my house by a bathroom

This answer was rated:

Hi, i had extensive upgrading work done on my house by a bathroom fitter over a few years.he and his wife split up nearly two yrs ago and they both have new relationships.
His ex wife apparently hacked his phone before they split and has since been harassing various customers re the jumbled messages she retrieved , She called my husband last week and said that i had been having an affair with him for years ( untrue!!) then when i took the phone she was very abusive!!!.. I tried to explain that she was way off course with her assumptions!!..I want to protect my reputation!
My husband and i have since spoken to her ex husband about this ( he confirmed she has done the same to three other customers of his He said she seems to think hes had a thing with every female whos house he works in..hes lost a lot of business through her witch hunting..and hes said the police might be best way to stop her as she doesnt listen to his warnings that he will take action.
What is my husband and i best course of action??
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
What is it you want to achieve please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I want to know what to do if she contacts me or my husband again.. Should we talk to her and record the verbal abuse or refuse to talk to her ??
Have you reported this to the Police?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No. Should we ignore her or wait and see if she contacts us again before taking it further. Her ex husband says he has no idea why she gets pleasure out of hurting innocent people like this.. He said he put up with some crazy stuff from her for 7 yrs before he started seeing somebody else.. He said hes moved on and is happy.. He said She had a new boyfriend within weeks of them splitting so he doesnt understand why she would keep doing this to his customers other than to try and destroy his reputation and business... I feel it is he who shlould take legal action against her.. I dont want to be dragged into any of their mess!!
Ok. I would report it to the Police as it could be harassment. The Police can go round and warn her not to contact you both again. If this is ignored then the Police can prosecute and seek an injunction to stop contact.
You can get a civil injunction but you would have to pay for that yourself through the County Court. Clearly breach of a Court order either civil or criminal is very serious.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She has sent another long text today saying she wants to meet my husband face to face to give him more details as she has pics and text messages shed rather share and not on the phone!!!....she said her ex admitted him and i were having an affair ( i havnt seen him since he fin work in my house 2 yrs ago!!)
She said she knows he must feel betrayed by me as she felt same finding out about me and her husband!!!!..
My husband says he is not answering her message and if there is any more we will go to the police..
How much does a civil action cost??
You can start a civil action and the Court fee is £250 to issue a claim.
Does that help?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What would the civil action do??..what does issue a claim mean??....would it be in the news paper as i wouldnt want that!!
Issue a claim means start a claim. A civil action wouldnt be in the paper no. You would get an injunction for harassment to stop her contacting you. If she does its contempt of Court and can be warned, fined or sent to prison.
Does that clarify?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Does I contact the police to take statements prior to a civil action by me or how do I instigate one?
You submit your evidence to civil court and it is set down for a hearing. A Judge will decide whether to grant an injunction.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
do i submit it through a solicitor?.. Its been verbal ( phone) and text message does this count as evidence?.. Should my husband tell her he intends doing this if she contacts him again?..
She says she has text messages and pics lodged with her solicitor proving he had an affair with me !!!even if this was true .. Hes been with his new partner for nearly 2 yrs!!... Is this a good reason to harrass my husband!!!!... I am confused as to what her purpose is as she has done this to other customers of his, how would i get that evidence??.. I get the feeling from what he says that they are all sick fed up of her behaviour.
You can do this yourself. You can count verbal and text message evidence. You should put it all in a witness statement and keep the texts for evidence.
You should warn her to stop before you seek a Court order.
Does that help?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Does she get to have an input into the civil action?... She sounds crazy on the phone and i just want it to stop!
Yes. She can defend it and the matter will be set down for a trial. You cant just get an injunction and the other side not able to make submissions. But she wont get legal aid for this and have to pay for legal representation herself.
Does that clarify?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Maybe i should just report to the police that we want her to stop contacting us if she continues to do so after my husband tells her to stop??....
Yes try that as its free.
Can I help with anything else?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for all your information, you have been a great help!
Good luck
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.
If the system won’t let you please click reply.
Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help:
Ash and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you