How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32086
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I am a British citizen and was on holiday in Zimbabwe last

Customer Question

I am a British citizen and was on holiday in Zimbabwe last October. We had a road traffic accident in which a pedestrian was killed. The person who was driving ran away and the case has been put on me since it was my car we were using. The police made no effort to hunt the culprit down. I consulted a lawyer who helped me to get back here to the UK. They have set a court date for the 6th of Jan 2016 and has been advised by my lawyer to attend otherwise they would apply for me to be extradritated back to Zimbabwe to face trial. The justice system in that country is so corrupt and am scared that I would not get a fair trial. Do I have any grounds to refuse to go?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Has an extradition request been made?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No it hasn't. It's just my lawyer from Zimbabwe who informed me that the police were thinking of going down that route since they knew I had left the country.
Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. This is a big topic - may I suggest a telephone call?