How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I have a non paying tenant who owes me 3months rent, I served

This answer was rated:

Hi I have a non paying tenant who owes me 3months rent, I served them a section 21 on the 6th of October and she was ment to be out on the 6th December. She is saying she is staying till the 1st March and isn't going to pay me any rent. On the internet it says I can change the locks is this right? This is the link I read it
And again on this one
Please could you get back to me asap
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
Do they rent the whole house or just a room please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi she rents the whole house and I know it says it's illegal to change the locks on a tenant but it say the
Exceptions to the rules
The landlord does not need to obtain a court possession order to evict if:1. you have a resident landlord with whom you share facilities, like the kitchen and bathroom2. you are not paying any rent for your accommodation
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It says this on another site
If your landlord wants you to leave the property then in some circumstances he or she may be able to change the locks, but you should be given reasonable notice before they do. Your landlord can do this if:You share facilities such as a kitchen or bathroom with your landlord;
Your landlord lives in the same building and you share facilities with a member of your landlord’s family;
You’re living in your accommodation for a holiday;
You’re a hotel guest;
You do not pay any rent for your accommodation.
Does she share anything?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just the garage
Then you must get a court order. The law requires this. If you do not then you can be sued for an unlawful eviction. If they rent a room or you are a live in landlord that is different. But you can be sued if you don't get a court order.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've served her a section 21 and she was ment to be out by the 6th of december
Yes and you can apply for an order for possession
Does that help
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How do I do that
Online at:
Or completing form N5b and sending it to Court:
Does that help?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. I have done that it costed me £250. The date is set for the 1st February. By that time she'll owe me 4months rent. Will the court make her pay that back. Will she have to pay the £250 back aswell
Yes the court will order both of those.
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok. Thanks for your time you've been a great help