How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35042
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Split up with fiancée she's selling our house and despite paying conservatory

This answer was rated:

Split up with fiancée she's selling our house and despite paying for the conservatory £8000, building a home office £5000 and converting the garage £2000 and I invested in her business £4000 but she didn't use it for her business she bought and sold stuff on eBay some of which she still has. Is there any hope for me.
Regards John
Hi JohnThank you for your questionMy name is***** shall do my best to help you but I need some further information firstHow much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?How much did the work you have done increase the value of the property?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
House worth £220,000
About 140,000
Conservatory £16,000, cabin £3500 garage £3000
So if the work had not been done the property would be worth £23,000 less
Could you prove that if necessary - would an Estate Agent agree?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I think so I can also get a statement from my neighbour that helped me a bit
It is the valuation issue that is crucial
Who actually owns the property?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My ex fiancee
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's going on the market on 26th of December
i take it she never paid you back for any of this work?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No not a penny I also leant her £4000 that was supposed to save her business but the business was already past saving but I didn't know this at the time and she spent the money on eBay buying stuff she still owns today
HiThe fact that you paid towards alterations and improvement that have increased the value of the property means that you have a financial claim on the proceeds of sale.This could be either in the form of the money spent on the property - or a share equivalent to the "added value" you have created.If necessary you can make an application using the Trusts if land and Appointment of Trustees Act to make the claimYour starting point is to try and negotiate with your ex using Family ask if you need further detailsClare
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you